Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but when the other driver flees the scene, it can make the situation even more stressful and confusing. Hit-and-run accidents are unfortunately common in Florida, and victims of these accidents may feel helpless and unsure of what to do next. If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident in Florida, it's important to take certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights.
Seek Medical Attention
First and foremost, it's important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after the accident. Even if you don't feel any pain or notice any injuries at first, it's possible that you may have sustained injuries that are not immediately apparent. Adrenaline and shock can also mask the symptoms of injuries, so it's important to get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible.
Report the Accident to the Police
Once you have received medical attention, it's important to report the accident to the police. In Florida, drivers are required to report accidents that involve injuries or property damage that exceeds $500.
If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, it's likely that the other driver has committed a criminal offense by leaving the scene of the accident, and the police can help you pursue legal action against the driver.
Gather Available Evidence
Gathering information after an accident can be challenging, especially if the other driver has fled the scene. However, any information you can gather can be valuable in identifying the driver and seeking compensation for your injuries and damages. Here are some tips for gathering information after a hit and run accident:
- Try to remember as many details as possible about the other driver and the vehicle involved in the accident. This includes the make and model of the vehicle, the color of the vehicle, the license plate number, and any other distinguishing features you may have noticed.
- Look for witnesses who may have seen the accident and ask for their contact information. Witnesses can provide valuable testimony about what happened and may have seen details that you missed.
- Check for any surveillance cameras in the area that may have captured the accident. This includes cameras on nearby buildings, businesses, or traffic lights.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and any damage to your vehicle, as well as any injuries you may have sustained. This can help provide evidence if you decide to pursue legal action.
If you have been involved in a hit and run accident in Florida, contacting your insurance company is an important step in seeking compensation for your injuries and damages. Here is some more information about what you should do when contacting your insurance company after a hit and run accident:
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible: It's important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident to report the incident and start the claims process.
- Provide all the necessary information: When speaking with your insurance company, be prepared to provide detailed information about the accident, including the time and location of the accident, any injuries you sustained, and any damage to your vehicle.
- Ask about your coverage: Ask your insurance company about your coverage for hit and run accidents. In Florida, all drivers are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which covers medical expenses and lost wages regardless of who is at fault for the accident. You may also have uninsured motorist coverage, which can provide additional compensation if the other driver cannot be identified or located.
- Provide any documentation: Your insurance company may require documentation to support your claim, such as medical records or police reports. Be sure to provide any requested documentation as quickly as possible to avoid delays in the claims process.
- Work with your insurance company: Your insurance company will work with you to investigate the accident and determine the extent of your injuries and damages. Be sure to cooperate with your insurance company throughout the process and provide any additional information or documentation they may require.
Remember that your insurance company is there to help you after a hit and run accident. By working closely with your insurance company and providing them with all the necessary information and documentation, you can help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
After being involved in a hit and run accident in Florida, it's important to consider contacting a personal injury attorney. Here's some more information about why it's important to seek legal representation after a hit and run accident:
- Protect your rights: A personal injury attorney can help protect your legal rights and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages. They can also help ensure that you are not held liable for any damages that were not your fault.
- Investigate the accident: An attorney can help investigate the accident to determine who was at fault and identify the other driver. This can be particularly important in hit and run accidents where the other driver has fled the scene.
- Navigate the legal process: The legal process can be complex and confusing, particularly if you are dealing with injuries and damages from a hit and run accident. A personal injury attorney can help you navigate the legal process, file any necessary paperwork, and represent you in court if necessary.
- Maximize your compensation: An attorney can help you maximize your compensation by negotiating with insurance companies and pursuing legal action if necessary. They can also help ensure that you receive compensation for all of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind: Dealing with the aftermath of a hit and run accident can be stressful and overwhelming. A personal injury attorney can provide peace of mind by handling the legal aspects of your case and helping you focus on your recovery.
Contacting a personal injury attorney after a hit and run accident in Florida is the most important step in protecting your legal rights and ensuring that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
Daytona Beach Hit and Run Attorneys
Being involved in a hit and run accident can be a traumatic experience, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself and seek compensation for your injuries and damages. Remember to gather as much information as possible, contact your insurance company and consider hiring a personal injury attorney to help you navigate the legal process.
At Vasilaros Wagner, our team has extensive experience representing victims of hit and run accidents. We understand the challenges and complexities of these types of cases and are dedicated to helping our clients receive the compensation they deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in a hit and run accident, we would be honored to help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you during this difficult time.