Serving Daytona, Deltona and Palm Coast
With more coastline than any other state in the continental United States, Florida is a haven for boat and water sports enthusiasts. There are many ways to enjoy Florida’s extensive coastline, but among the most popular are personal watercraft, also commonly known as “jet skis.” Jet skis are extremely powerful machines, with excellent maneuverability and high top speeds. Unfortunately, these same characteristics make jet skis dangerous and capable of causing serious injuries in the event of an accident.
In some cases, these accidents may even result in fatalities. Florida law may allow victims of jet ski accidents or their families to recover for their losses, by bringing a personal injury claim against the person or party responsible for their losses. The best way to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve after a jet ski accident, is to discuss your case with an experienced attorney immediately.
Common Causes of Jet Ski Accidents
According to data published by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), collisions with other vessels are by far the most common type of jet ski accident. In addition, the same study indicates that the vast majority of recreational boating accidents are caused by operator error. In order for a person to successfully sue after a jet ski accident, they must be able to establish that their accident was the result of someone else’s negligence. There are many potential ways in which a jet ski accident could be caused by negligence, including:
- Failure to maintain a jet ski – This type of claim would likely arise in a situation in which a person rented a jet ski from a marina. A victim may be able to recover from the company from which he or she rented if the equipment, provided was unsafe to use due to improper maintenance.
- Defectively designed or manufactured jet skis – In situations where the jet skis malfunction is due to defective design or manufacture and people are involved in an accident, those injured may be able to recover from the jet ski manufacturer.
- Operator error – Often, people operating jet skis have very little or even no experience. If they cause an accident, victims may be able to recover if they can establish that the jet ski driver was negligent.
- Failure to provide safety equipment – Jet ski rental companies are required to provide their customers with adequate safety equipment. If they fail to do so, it may be sufficient to establish liability in the event of an injury-causing accident.
- Non-compliance with Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) regulations requiring training and information – The FWC regulations require that companies that rent jet skis must provide training and information to their customers. Failure to comply with these regulations may allow victims of jet ski accidents to sue for their losses.
Injuries Caused by Jet Ski Accidents
Jet ski accidents are capable of causing serious injuries that may result in lifelong consequences for victims. Some of the most common injuries that occur in jet ski accidents include:
These and other injuries or losses may entitle victims to financial compensation. Discuss your case with an attorney today to determine whether you have a claim. You can call us at (386) 777-7777 or fill out our online contact form below for a free case evaluation. Get the compensation you deserve.