After an accident or injury, victims are often bombarded with requests for paperwork from doctors, law enforcement, and even insurance claims adjusters. The wording of the documents is often confusing, and because the victim is also trying to heal from injuries, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Anyone injured in an accident – whether by motor vehicle or a slip and fall – should contact a personal injury attorney to explore their options. While there may be some hesitation about contacting an attorney , there are several good reasons to do so rather than attempting to settle without an attorney’s help.
Why Contact a Personal Injury Attorney?
- Experience with Claims - An attorney can review the circumstances of the injury case and determine right away if it is a claim worth pursuing. Also, if it is an auto accident, an attorney can help the client file for PIP benefits before filing a personal injury claim for additional compensation.
- Contingency Fees - Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means they are not paid unless they win the claim. While there are some expenses for which the accident victim is responsible, (such as doctors’ fees), these expenses are not directly related to the attorney’s services.
- Paperwork - Confusing terminology and complicated paperwork are common in an injury case. However, with an attorney’s help, a victim can focus on healing while the attorney files the necessary paperwork, completes forms at the request of insurance companies, and organizes necessary documents to file the claim.
- Emotions - Accident victims feel a whirlwind of emotions, from anger to pain to frustration to fear. All of these can affect a victim’s ability to think clearly about their case. An attorney, on the other hand, can remain objective and leave emotions out of negotiations, ensuring that clients do not rush to a decision based on their emotions.
- Better Settlements - Most personal injury claims settle out of court, but the amount they settle for can vary. Accident attorneys know how to calculate current and future costs, making sure that the settlement their client is offered is adequate. Without an attorney, an accident victim often settles for less than their claim is worth, and they may encounter extensive out-of-pocket costs in the future that are not covered by their settlement.
- Insurance Company Tactics - An experienced personal injury attorney has experience in working with insurance claims adjusters; therefore, they will not be easily confused by their tactics or pressured to settle. Instead, they will skillfully negotiate with the best interests of their client in mind.
- Rules and Regulations - To file a personal injury claim, there are critical steps that must be taken beforehand, such as filing a police report and filing for PIP benefits. Not following these rules can jeopardize a claim. An attorney knows the law and which steps to take to ensure a victim never jeopardizes their chances for compensation.
- Liability - Proving liability is not always as straightforward as victims may think. An attorney knows how to prove the at-fault party breached their duty of care and can hold them responsible for their negligence.
An attorney is a valuable asset to any personal injury claim. They protect the rights of their clients and ensure that a fair settlement is reached.
If you have a claim, meet with one of the experienced personal injury attorneys at Vasilaros | Wagner today for a free consultation and case evaluation. Contact us at 386-777-7777 to schedule your appointment, or complete an online contact form .