After being involved in an accident, you may be caught off guard at just how many costs there are that go along with that accident. Most of these costs will end up coming out of your own pocket - regardless of insurance coverage - and may leave you in a dire financial position. It is important to understand the costs associated with vehicle accidents so that you can not only prepare yourself, but see what costs can be recovered in an auto accident claim against the liable party.
What Costs Can a Victim Encounter After an Accident?Car accidents are devastating . From medical costs to property damage, there are some costs that victims are unprepared for financially and emotionally. Some of the costs a victim may encounter post-accident include:
- Medical Expenses - Injuries can range from a few minor cuts and bruises to broken bones and even traumatic brain injury. Regardless of the severity, there will be medical costs that add up quickly - from the ambulance ride to emergency room visits to consultations with doctors.
- Medical Devices - In addition to hospital bills and doctors’ fees, you will also encounter medical device costs, such as crutches, heat pads, ice packs or even more in-depth medical devices.
- Prescription Costs - It is likely a victim will have some prescription costs associated with their accident - whether it is an antibiotic prescribed out of precaution or an anti-inflammatory or pain reducing medication.
- Lost Wages - Anyone involved in an accident will need time away from work - and the amount of time a person has to take will depend on the severity of their injuries. For some, they may never be able to return to work again or may be on partial disability for the rest of their lives - which can dramatically reduce how much they earn each year. Even minor injuries will result in time away from work - whether it is the initial recovery, time for doctors’ appointments, etc.
- Care Services - Some injuries may require professional care services, such as an in-home nurse, rehabilitative care, or even frequent visits to a psychologist to help cope with the emotional trauma of the accident itself.
All of these costs can quickly add up into the thousands. Even with insurance coverage, a victim may have heavy deductibles, co-pays and uncovered costs that continue to compound. If that victim cannot work, they may have no way to cover these unexpected costs.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact a Daytona Accident Attorney for Compensation
If you were injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, you should not have to shoulder the costs of that accident. The Daytona Beach lawyers at Vasilaros | Wagner are here to help you recover compensation for your injuries and losses. Meet with us for a consultation by calling 386-777-7777 or schedule your consultation online .